?

Log in

No account? Create an account

I have a dream... But it requires Internet access

November 8th, 2009 (09:38 am)

So, people actually pay the somewhat expensive fee for Internet access in airports to just log into Facebook. I'm not speaking of nerds who can't not check their email every 30 minutes, but "real people" (I hate this expression, but it happens to be quite close to what I mean.) I think we're there, finally. Good, it should just be a couple years until cheap data plans arrive massively.

Comments

Posted by: Niall (confangry)
Posted at: November 8th, 2009 01:39 pm (UTC)

Sadly, I think you're being somewhat optimistic.

Posted by: OB (ob_v)
Posted at: November 9th, 2009 07:02 pm (UTC)

We'll see :)

Posted by: dbrane (dbrane)
Posted at: November 8th, 2009 02:05 pm (UTC)

I hoped your post would end with "...until we start eliminating such people as utterly useless to society." :-).

Posted by: OB (ob_v)
Posted at: November 9th, 2009 06:59 pm (UTC)

I'm happy there are casual Internet users, as opposed to those obsessed with recompliling Firefox under another name that would somewhat be more free :)

Casual use, my friend, that's what it's all about.

Posted by: ((Anonymous))
Posted at: November 24th, 2009 10:20 am (UTC)
I couldn't agree more

A related anecdote.

I recently discovered the "Gares en direct" Android app. It provides you with a handy copy of the train arrival & departure displays in French train stations, including platform numbers and late arrivals. By default it starts with the nearest train station. There's a similar application (actually, a web site) for all metro, bus and tramway stations in Paris. [I'm sure from this paragraph OB can tell who I am, even though I'm anonymous].

So you know in advance if you need to run to catch the next train/bus/whatever.

I played with it a lot and got tons of "so you're really a hardcore geek" reactions. Remember 1990? That's what they said about the Internet. "What are you gonna use a personal email address for??! A work address isn't enough?"

So as you say OB: this is it. Everybody's doomed to become a geek now. Geeks not only rule the world, they ARE the world.

Posted by: OB (ob_v)
Posted at: November 24th, 2009 10:45 am (UTC)
Re: I couldn't agree more

> [I'm sure from this paragraph OB can tell who I am, even though I'm anonymous].

I'm only 75% sure. Blame the remaining 25% on me knowing too many train geeks :)

(Deleted comment)
Posted by: OB (ob_v)
Posted at: November 9th, 2009 07:01 pm (UTC)

> I'm sure I'll miss the days of being less connected.

I'm pretty sure I will myself. I guess I'll end up buying a "voice-only" cell phone for real holidays. Temptation will be too high otherwise :)


> Also, welcome to this time zone.

Thanks!

7 Read Comments